Saturday, 17 December 2011

Will Ndoum contest as independent candidate in 2012 elections?

nduom 185
Earlier this month Dr Ndoum announced he had terminated campaigning as a presidential aspirant of the party, after a fallout with CPP chairperson Samia Nkrumah, who alleged he was attempting to undermine her leadership.

But there seems to be the strongest hint yet from the 2008 presidential candidate of the Convention People's Party (CPP) Dr Paa Kwesi Ndoum that he may contest the 2012 elections as an independent candidate.
He says he has since been inundated with calls by supporters and well wishers to form a movement that will pose a real alternative to the NDC and the NPP.

At a news conference in Accra on Saturday, head of Dr Ndoum's Communications team, Richmond Keelson, told Joy News' Araba Koomson that Dr Ndoum will contest the 2012 elections irrespective of whether he is chosen as CPP presidential candidate or not.

He said Dr. Nduom's personality surpasses all the other candidates and will therefore be a key factor in his decision to contest the 2012 elections.
He did not say whether the Dr. Nduom will leave if he fails to clinch the ticket of the party but he stated that “on the 7th December, 2012, Dr. Nduom's picture will boldly will be displayed on the ballot papers.”

“The personality of the president matters a lot not necessarily the political party. Yes, the political party might be the vessel that the candidate might use but the moment elections are held, the very person that won the elections, you will see that all attention is shifted and focused on [him].”

Who At All Is Kwesi Pratt To Demand A Full Scale Of Investigation From The Government?

Kwesi Pratt
Kwesi Pratt, the so-called Editor of the Insight newspaper, is calling for full scale independent
investigations into the circumstances surrounding how GH¢41,811,480.59 of state money was doled out in a court settlement to an alleged bankroll of the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC), Mr. Alfred Agbesi Woyome. He is also asking for investigations to be conducted into all judgement debts carried out in the country saying “this is the biggest opportunity for the state to examine all this cases and come to a conclusion".

Is Pratt now the newly appointed Minister or the Deputy Minister of interior Affairs in Ghana or
the NDC government is so nice, free and liberal to such an extent that anybody at all can hold
them responsible for any affairs which should normally be determined by the government?
How can a normal "floor member" like Kwesi Pratt come out to say things like,"The bottom line is, it needs investigation, full scale investigation by independent committee of enquiry to answer these questions because more than 30million dollars is at stake and we don't have to take it for
granted. How come Ministry of Finance went for an injunction that they should pay first tranche
but you paid all the tranches? I'll be pained if the full scale investigation involves only Woyome, because the judgement debts paid by past and present governments runs into several millions of cedis, this is the biggest opportunity for the state to examine all this cases and come to a conclusion. We will be deceiving ourselves if we limit the investigations to only Woyome because there are a lot of people reaping where they've not sowed and some of the things don't make sense.”

The newly baked Ghanaian "law professor" Kwesi Pratt was commenting on the GhC42 million judgement debt awarded Mr Woyome, and the report that the government of Ghana under President Mills in 2010, paid a total of GH¢275,917,484.25 (nearly 2.6 trillion old cedis) in judgement debts. A High Court in 2010 ordered the State to pay an amount of nearly GH¢42 million in judgement debt to Mr. Woyome over what he describes as the illegal termination of his contract. He argues that there is no document to prove the erstwhile NPP government had any contract with Mr. Woyome for which he should be paid for any miscarriage of justice. He further contended that even if the NPP government signed a contract with the company, under what circumstance was the compensation or settlement paid to and in the name of Mr. Woyome.

Where is for God sake, Kwesi Pratt, an equally super money concious and corrupt citizen, getting the power to undermine the NDC government by making statements such as, "most of the explanations offered by the NDC stalwart and businessman are baseless, wondering why government should pay for the feasibility study of a company bidding for a contract; especially when the feasibility study forms part of the requirement for the contract bidding." He even has the ability to attack the Attorney General's office, questioning why two attorney generals from the same administration have varied opinions on the same issue which affects the nation gravely, as if he is a BNI boss or a high profile minister in Ghana.

According to law Professor Pratt “The first Attorney General agreed to Woyome's case and made
arrangement for settlement and now the current Attorney General who is also a lawyer is saying it is not true so government should not pay any money. Two Attorney-Generals for the same government with varied opinions, who is telling the truth and who is not doing his or her work well? Which of them is wrong? And the evidence that the second attorney general took to court that the settlement should be cancelled, was it not in the office already, how come it was overlooked by the first attorney general"?

Kwesi Pratt, the so-claimed Senior "greedy and money concious" Journalist further posited that all politicians and statesmen, especially in the last administration whose names have come up must be made to come clean. “I want to understand the conducts of some of the minister in the NPP administration, Osafo-Maafo's name has been mentioned several times since the case started and he must come out to answer some of the questions lingering around. All of those people whose names have come up must come and exonerate themselves.
"Who born dog", that a so-claimed (normal) journalist Kwesi Pratt can make such demands from the government. Is he an undercover NDC minister?
FRANCIS TAWIAH (Duisburg - Germany)

Monday, 12 December 2011

Buipe Power Substation Inauguration : Vice President Mahama Goofed Badly.

Vice President John Dramani Mahama
The NPP UK and Ireland has unveiled the Vice President John Dramani Mahama in his attempt to cover up the humiliation engulfing the ruling Mills-NDC government regarding the promises made to the people of Ghana and particularly to the people from the Northern Ghana with the Savannah

Accelerated Development Authority (SADA). The Vice President John embarrassed himself when he tried to take a false glory from the inauguration of $ 8.5 million power substation at Buipe on Saturday, 10 December 2011 as reported by GNA, peacefmonline.com and ghanaweb.com.
Vice President John Dramani was reported to have said “the provision of electricity to (Buipe) rural communities would form a major component of the Savannah Accelerated Development Authority (SADA). He said this when he was inaugurating an 8.5 million-dollar-161/34.5 kV power substation to provide reliable bulk power to the Savannah Diamond Cement Company Limited at Buipe in the Northern Region.

The truth is that the $40 million Buipe Cement Factory was established in 2007/8 and the request for the power substation and tits construction commenced as the equipment for the project were already on their way to the location. All these took place far before the NDC's conception of the SADA project in their 2008 manifesto to deceive Ghanaians.
As readers can recalled, on Thursday 6th Dec 2007, the Daily Guide new paper reported with the head line “$40m Buipe cement factory ready”. In that report it stated that “the $40 million project follows painstaking and expensive feasibility studies into the economic viability and availability of high grade limestone in the Buipe area”.

The Ghana Grid Company (GRIDCo) on their official website (www.gridcogh.com) has also stated categorically that the Buipe Substation Project has been paid for by the two cement factories, thus the Buipe Cement Company Ltd and Savanna Cement Company Ltd, and for that matter why should the Vice President John Mahama attribute the project as part of their failed SADA promise?
On the project background, GRIDCo has said “this project is at the request of two (2) cement manufacturing companies. These companies would pre-finance the cost of implementation and GRIDCo would reimburse part of this capital cost contribution on terms to be later agreed upon”.

The Ghana Grid Company has also confirmed that the objective of the project was “intend to construct a 161/34.5kV to supply permanent bulk power to Buipe Cement Company Ltd and Savanna Cement Company Ltd. The project also envisages converting the existing power supply system at Buipe from the Shield wire Scheme to the conventional supply scheme to meet the anticipated growth in power demand at Buipe and its environs (including BOST and Volta Lake Transport Company (VLTC)), as a result of locating the cement plants in the area”.
Now, with all these happening far before the assumption of NDC government into power, why should the Vice President John Mahama dishonourably try to link the inauguration of Buipe Power Station to the NDC-SADA?

It is a known fact that the construction of Bui Dam to generate over 400 megawatts of power located at Brong Ahafo Region was one of the primary aims of NPP-Kufour's government to ensure that a reliable power can be supplied to the Northern part of Ghana so as to entice private manufacturing and production companies to move up north. This idea was in line with the proposal made by Nana Akufo Addo to establish Northern Development Authority, backed by a Northern Development Fund, to help accelerate the economic transformation of the three northern regions.

Hayford Atta Krufi
Chairman – NPP UK & Ireland
Peter Antwi Boasiako
NPP UK Communications and Research Team

Sunday, 11 December 2011

Kweku Baako : Did Asiedu Nketia deceive delegates at NDC Congress?

General Secretary of the National Democratic Congress  NDC   Johnson Nketia
The controversy surrounding the alleged $20 million National Democratic Congress (NDC) headquarters building seems to be lingering on as the Managing Editor of the New Crusading Guide, Kweku Baako Jnr., has raised further concerns on the matter.
Kweku Baako says the information that the party is building a headquarters that will be ready for occupation next year, lends credence to the allegation.
Speaking on Joy FM's current affairs programme Newsfile on Saturday, Mr. Baako said, during the July Congress of the NDC to elect a flagbearer, “Asiedu Nketia indicated that their party headquarters was at an advanced stage of construction and that it will be ready for occupation late next year.”

Kweku Baako stated that per the revelation of Asiedu Nketia, the party must have a building that is nearing completion even though he is aware that the said $20 million building located in Adabraka does not belong to the party.

To him, unless the General Secretary was deceiving congress, the party should be able to show evidence of the building that is at an 'advanced stage'.
He said preliminary checks, nonetheless, reveal that “a certain broadcasting enterprise, rightly perceived to be pro-NDC might have something to do with that outfit and perhaps it appears that somewhere along the line there was an intention to give the party some section of that edifice.”
He said the decision to give part of the building to the NDC may not happen now because of the ambiguous responses from various party members.
“I see absolutely nothing wrong with a legally registered political party mobilizing resources and funds to put up an office or offices, on the national level, on the regional level and the district level. It is important that we have effective administrations as well as organizations,” adding “on principle, what is the big deal?”

He said there is a history behind the suspicion of political party property ownership in the country right from the time when the CPP built the Information Ministry as its party office.
Kweku Baako however said he suspects the quest to ensure probity and accountability drove the AFAG to raise such concerns as this involved a ruling party, which has been in power for just a little of two years.

He said the NDC ironically bellows the principle of probity and accountability and that if people are asking such questions about an alleged property, “I think it is fair deal.”
Blaming the NDC for failing to handle the issue with finesse, he said “what we needed were responsible responses, accurate [responses] from the NDC… They ought to have given us accurate, factual, responsible, unambiguous responses [and] the matter would have died.”

But a deputy General Secretary of the NDC, Kofi Adams, who was also a panelist on the programme, said members of AFAG must of necessity prove their allegation and stop the "mediocrity", stressing that “there is no such thing that the NDC owns a building like that.”
He blamed the party's communication structure for the differences in the response of party members.
“People wake up in the morning. Something they don't know of, they don't know executive position; they have not sat for any discussions. [Journalists] call them - 'Yes I want to talk' – because they think that by talking on radio it makes them popular,” he lamented.
Touching on the speech by Asiedu Nketia on the said building, Kofi Adams said, his boss's report to Congress in July was about the acquisition of land for the construction of the party headquarters:
“We have a building project committee headed by one of our lawyers. I don't know the stage of development as far as the Oyibi parcel of land and facility is concerned.”
He said the party raised funds nationally for the building project and at the appropriate time the committee in charge of the project will make their report available to the party.
He urged civil society groups to rather encourage the political parties to submit their audited accounts regularly to the Electoral Commission “ so that through [this] we can track and know what is going on.”

Saturday, 10 December 2011

Ghana Politics : Election 2012 Presidential aspirants must undergo compulsory medicals

John Boadu
The New Patriotic Party's Deputy Director of Communications for election 2012, John Boadu has called for a compulsory and thorough health check for all persons hoping to contest next year's presidential and parliamentary elections.

According to him, the exercise is necessary to help electorates know the state of health of the various candidates so they can choose candidates who are healthy and also meet the dictates of Article 69(c) of the 1992 constitution which requires prospective candidates to the office of president must be of sound mind.

Speaking on Minority Caucus, a political talk show on Multi TV, Mr. Boadu said “for me, I will insist (that) in 2012 elections, as the constitution says, we must make sure almost everybody that contests, both in parliamentary and presidential elections goes through health check in order to ensure that we are voting for what we required.”
Commenting on President Mills' leave of absence, John Boadu raised concerns about the President's decision to spend his holidays outside the borders of the country.

“How on earth will any President anywhere decide to spend his holidays outside his own country with all the facilities, the communication directors, the Presidential aides, and the staffers? What is the total cost of this expensive presidency and expensive holiday” he queried.
According to him, President Mills should have considered vacationing at any of the tourist sites in the country adding that such an initiative would boost the fortunes of the country's tourist attractions.
Describing the Mills-Mahama administration as the most expensive government in the country's political history, Mr. Boadu contended “we are running an expensive executive presidency, and he (Mills) is the only president that has incurred so much debt in the history of our country. No president compares himself with the appetite for incurring debt for the people of this country more than his Excellency J.E.A. Mills.”
He also raised issues with the huge number of Presidential Aides in the Mills-Mahama administration indicating that “never in the history of this country have we had so many people as presidential aide. Strangely enough, just within two years, the basic salary of an equal colleague in the Atta mills administration is taking 3800, some of them are taking 4000, some of them are taking 5000 to the extent that in this government, the presidential staffers are so many that they are not able to have offices at the Castle.”

Recent comments made by some leading members of the Committee for Joint Action [CJA] indicating that the Kufuor-led NPP administration was more corrupt than the current NDC were dismissed by John Boadu.

Enumerating a number of cases of corruption he has identified in the Mills-Mahama administration, Mr. Boadu pointed out “CJA if you want to know, the NYEP Coordinator in the Ashanti Mampong municipality inflated the number of workers, an investigation was carried, he used the excess money to run the NDC office both at the regional level and at the constituency level. CJA, the president was accused of using GH¢90 million for his FONKA and GAME. CJA are you aware of Carl Wilson and his activities? CJA, are you aware that Asiedu Nketia is a member of a board of which he has a company that supplies the same company of which he is a member blocks… CJA, aren't you aware that so far, tender board has never given a report to this nation?”
He further dismissed recent calls by the CJA for the prosecution of former NPP officials who are alleged to have cost financial loss to the state.

Story by Ewurabena Yorke/ Multi TV